Hello There, Guest!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Detecting traps
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM,
Detecting traps
It is advertised that the Cheetah Radar Detector is capable of detecting K, Ka, Ku and Laser (no false alerts from X band) beams. Sounds like a great detector to me. They are also compact and easy to store.

Does anyone have a Cheetah RD? Just wondering if you would recommend this type?
08-27-2009, 12:28 AM,
RE: Detecting traps
I don't know about the actual RD but I have a buddy who has an iPod, I think it is an iPod, maybe a phone, something like that, which has some interface that works like a RD and it is Cheetah he says. I haven't messed with Cheetah brand but I think whatever that is that he has is pretty awesome.
08-27-2009, 02:06 PM,
Cheetah used to have what they called "Active Stealth" software for PDAs - which included a bluetooth style transmitter, that would interface the GPS antenna with the software, as well as their radar detector and laser jammer wireless transmitters.

Seemed like a cool integration, but they discontinued the software.

Trapster.com is a good free service
DelonixRadar - your no BS, unbiased resource on radar detector, and speed camera products.
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM,
Well I guess that option is out for me then. I was hoping to try to figure that out so that I would have an option that was portable as the rd I hope to get will be solid mounted. I need to check out Trapster!
09-03-2009, 07:59 PM,
Are the detectors on the ipods or on the phones really that good? I was skeptical when I saw this option. I guess they make everything compact these days though. Glad to hear that your friends works good. Has anyone else had expericience with one on their phone/ipod?
09-04-2009, 09:31 AM,
Well from the info that Delonix posted for me, that software that my friend had used is no longer supported so if he hasn't already lost use of it, he soon will. Check out the Trapster site that Delonix posted too. Good info there.
09-06-2009, 03:20 AM,
Why did they discontinue it if people were using it and liked it? I wouldn't have minded trying it if it works as good as you say. I'm wondering if there is another program similar to the one they discontinued that we could try?
09-07-2009, 08:51 AM,
(09-03-2009, 07:59 PM)taytay Wrote: Are the detectors on the ipods or on the phones really that good? I was skeptical when I saw this option. I guess they make everything compact these days though. Glad to hear that your friends works good. Has anyone else had expericience with one on their phone/ipod?

It's not a radar detector, it's a community based GPS program that shares locations of known speed traps.

So if you pass a speed camera, speed trap or fixed camera (that's not already in the data base) then you simply "add" the trap in the iphone software, and it sends the info to the server, thus now all users will get that speed trap.

If you pass a speed trap that IS already on the phone, then you can "confirm" that you agree there is a speed trap there.

The more people that confirm the trap is there, the more "likely" the report is genuine, and this is reflected in the software.
DelonixRadar - your no BS, unbiased resource on radar detector, and speed camera products.
09-07-2009, 10:03 PM,
Hey Delonix, thanks for the explanation of how those things work. I have a a T-Mobile MyPhone and can download an app that would do what you've explained. Do you know if you have to sign up for a data plan for it to work or does having GPS simply do the trick?
09-10-2009, 10:57 AM,
I believe you need data for the trapster software because it references the mapping software, as well as sending / receiving the trap data